Filing an Immigrant Petition

How to file an I-130 petition:

Petitioners residing in Korea must file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, by mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility. Please visit USCIS website for detail.

Exceptions for certain U.S. military service members:

Consular officers at the U.S. Embassy Seoul may accept filing of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, filed by qualified U.S. military service members for any immediate relative case, when active duty military service member is stationed at a military base in Korea.  This exception does not apply to service members assigned to non-military bases, such as embassies or civilian institutions.

Please click here to make an I-130 petition appointment for qualified U.S. military service members.

“Exceptional Situations”:

U.S. Embassy Seoul may accept filing of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, from petitioners who believe they have exceptional situations that would merit an exception from filing by mail to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox.

USCIS published guidance (PDF 60KB) on circumstances that may qualify as exceptional.

If you believe that your situation merits an exception, please click here to request an exception and explain your circumstances in detail.

If your request to file an I-130 petition with U.S. Embassy Seoul is not authorized by USCIS, then you must file the petition with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox.

NoteU.S. Embassy Seoul may not accept filing of the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative if the petitioner has already filed a Form I-130 with the USCIS in the U.S. for the same beneficiary.  If exigent circumstances exist, the petitioner should request expedited processing for the petition filed in the U.S.  Please refer to the USCIS website for information about the process to request expedited adjudication.

For information on how to file an I-360 petition for a spouse of a deceased U.S. citizen, please click here