Official/Diplomatic Passport

Effective 1 October 2016, the Embassy American Citizen Services team is no longer authorized to process applications for Official passports (brown cover), No-fee dependent passports (blue cover), nor diplomatic passports for any DoD overseas personnel.  DoD overseas personnel includes active duty, GS, DLA, DECA, and DODEA.  DATT personnel are considered DoD Overseas personnel. DoD Overseas personnel must process their official or no fee passports through a military passport agent, in person. Please check with the legal office at your installation for the contact information for your military passport agent. This is a global directive sent out by DoD.

Official/diplomatic (no-fee) passports are issued to officials or employees of the U.S. Government (and their dependents) traveling abroad on official duties.  Official/diplomatic passports are normally issued by the Special Issuance Agency in Washington, D.C. and valid for five years.

Please Note: Because official/diplomatic passports are all issued by the State Department in Washington, we must forward the applications to Washington for processing.  The processing time from the day your materials are sent off to Washington until the time your passport is delivered to the Embassy is approximately THREE MONTHS. It can take longer during the busy spring and summer transfer seasons.  There is unfortunately no way to expedite the process, so it is crucial that you apply as early as possible, and make no unchangeable travel plans until your passport is actually in hand.  We will notify you once your official/diplomatic passport is issued and delivered to the Embassy.

Please submit the following items:

  • Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard.  Please make sure that you write the U.S. Embassy address (188 Sejongdae-ro, Jongro-gu, Seoul, Korea) for your mailing address on item #8 of your application.  Once completed, please print the application form, but DO NOT sign.  Applications filled out by hand will not be accepted.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
    Original U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, or current passport.  Please Note: Hospitals in the United States sometimes issue a commemorative “certificate of birth” which often has the baby’s footprints.  This hospital-issued certificate is not a proof of citizenship.  Certified birth certificates are issued by the State or County government, not a hospital.If the submitted document is under a different name, you must provide original evidence of the change of name, such as a marriage certificate or a court order.
  • Proof of Identity
    For example, a driver’s license, military I.D., etc.  
  • Authorization DS-1640
  • One passport photograph
    Sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background taken within the last six months/no eye glasses/no uniforms/no digital manipulation or retouching. (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)

* Minor Children: Children under the age of 16 must also provide evidence of their U.S. citizenship, the relationship between the child and parent(s), identification of the parents and a passport photograph. More information can be found on our minor passport page. The child must be present at the passport interview.