Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the U.S Department of State is limiting its passport operations worldwide. Effective April 8, we have limited ability to offer routine passport and citizenship services overseas. Please consider waiting to apply for routine services until we resume normal operations. U.S. Embassy Seoul can assist with an emergency passport for an adult or a minor. If you have not received your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), an emergency passport may be issued.
If you applied for a routine passport or citizenship service after April 2, you should expect significant delays receiving your passport and your citizenship evidence documents. Contact us at SeoulinfoACS@state.gov to check on the status of your passport or citizenship document such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
The U.S. Embassy remains open for U.S. citizens in crisis or emergencies. Thank you for your patience during these difficult circumstances.
Replacing a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passport
Please report the loss/theft of all U.S. passports to the local police and apply for a replacement passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate serving your area as soon as possible. If your reported lost or stolen passport is found after a replacement passport is issued to you, the original passport cannot be used for travel.
A personal appearance is required to apply for a replacement passport. Please go to our appointment page to schedule an appointment.
- Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard. (Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you will be asked to sign a sworn statement declaring that you never applied for a number. Once completed, please print the application form including the Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, but DO NOT sign.
- Police Report for lost/stolen passport
Report the loss to the police station nearest to where you lost your passport and bring that report with you.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (If applicable)
Original U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or previous U.S. passport.
- Proof of Identity (If applicable)
Driver’s license, military I.D., etc.
- One passport photograph
Sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background taken within the last six months/no eye glasses/no uniforms. (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)
- Fee: $145 for adults, $115 for minors – Certain Passport fees to increase on April 2, 2018
- US or International credit card – All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars.
- Cash – U.S. dollars or Korean won at the Embassy’s exchange rate ($1=KRW1,200 Please note that the exchange rate may change at the time of payment as posted by the U.S. Department of State.) When paying in cash, we kindly request that you bring the exact amount.
- Please note that when providing consular services outside of the U.S. Embassy (Off-site Services), we are only able to accept payment by MONEY ORDER in U.S. dollars for the exact amount of the service made payable to the “CASHIER FMC U.S. EMBASSY SEOUL”. We do NOT accept cash or credit card at the Off-site Services.
- Applicants under age 16: U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child.
- U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. If you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child, please submit a notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) (PDF-41.23KB). The parent submitting the application materials to the U.S. Embassy must bring the notarized consent form along with a copy of the absent parent’s ID used during the notary.If you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained in a timely manner, you need to submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances)(PDF-40.87KB).
- The minor child (applicant) must be present along with the parent(s).
- A return delivery courier slip (available at the Embassy)