Adult Passport (Applicants Age 16 and Over)

Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the U.S Department of State is limiting its passport operations worldwide. Effective April 8, we have limited ability to offer routine passport and citizenship services overseas. Please consider waiting to apply for routine services until we resume normal operations. U.S. Embassy Seoul can assist with an emergency passport for an adult or a minor. If you have not received your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), an emergency passport may be issued.

If you applied for a routine passport or citizenship service after April 2, you should expect significant delays receiving your passport and your citizenship evidence documents. Contact us at to check on the status of your passport or citizenship document such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

The U.S. Embassy remains open for U.S. citizens in crisis or emergencies. Thank you for your patience during these difficult circumstances.

First Time Adult Passport

All first-time passport applicants (age 16 and older) must appear in person at the Embassy.  The application must be signed before a U.S. consular officer.  Please see our appointment page.

Please submit the following documents:

Renewal for Adults

You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires.  If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip.  Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Two ways to submit your application request:

  1. Via Courier Service (recommended for those with SSN)
  2. In person (appointment required)

You can renew your existing passport without a personal appearance at the Embassy if: 

  • You are age 16 or over, and
  • You have a Social Security number, and
  • You can submit your most recent passport, and
  • Your most recent U.S. passport had a validity of 10 years, and
  • You were issued your most recent U.S. passport at age 16 or older, and within the past 15 years, and
  • Your name will remain the same as on your most recent passport.

If you meet the above criteria, please submit the following documents via Ilyang courier service to the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Korea:

  • Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard(Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you will be asked to sign a sworn statement declaring that you have never applied for a number. Once completed, please print and sign the application form.  Applications filled out by hand will not be accepted.
  • Your previous U.S. passport
  • One passport photograph
    Sized 2″ X 2″ or 5 cm X 5 cm with a white background taken within the last 6 months/no eye glasses/no uniforms. (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)
  • Fee: $110 (only acceptable method of payment for mailing or submitting at the Off-site services is an international money order)  Please do not staple the money order to any document.  A staple removed can affect the proper processing of a money order.

If you are not eligible to apply for your passport by mail, you must appear in person at the Embassy with the documents listed above.  Please make an appointment.