First Time Adult Passport
All first-time passport applicants (age 16 and older) must appear in person at the Embassy. The application must be signed before a U.S. consular officer. Please see our appointment page.
Please submit the following documents:
- Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard. (Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. Once completed, please print the application form, but DO NOT sign.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
Original U.S. birth certificate with parents’ information, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, or previous or current passport that was issued before age 16. Please Note: Hospitals in the United States sometimes issue a commemorative “certificate of birth” which often has the baby’s footprints. This hospital-issued certificate is not a proof of citizenship. Certified birth certificates are issued by the State or County government, not a hospital.If the submitted document is under a different name, you must provide original evidence of the change of name, such as a marriage certificate or a court order.
- Proof of Identity
For example, a driver’s license, military I.D., etc.
- One passport photograph
Sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background taken within the last six months/no eye glasses/no uniforms. (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)
- Fee: $145
- US or International credit card – All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars. The applicant can use a credit card in his/her name or a credit card of the person accompanying the applicant to the Embassy.
- Cash – U.S. dollars or Korean won at the Embassy’s exchange rate ($1=KRW1,200 Please note that the exchange rate may change at the time of payment as posted by the U.S. Department of State.) When paying in cash, we kindly request that you bring the exact amount
- Please note that when providing consular services outside of the U.S. Embassy (Off-site Services), we are only able to accept payment by MONEY ORDER in U.S. dollars for the exact amount of the service made payable to the “CASHIER FMC U.S. EMBASSY SEOUL”. We do NOT accept cash or credit card at the Off-site Services.
- Development photos
For those whose last passport was issued when the applicant was minor, please bring development photos showing the physical development of the applicant since the last passport was issued. 1-2 photographs per year from when that passport was issued to present, to show how their appearance has changed.
- A return delivery courier slip (available at the Embassy)
Renewal for Adults
You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires. If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
Two ways to submit your application request:
You can renew your existing passport without a personal appearance at the Embassy if:
- You are age 16 or over, and
- You have a Social Security number, and
- You can submit your most recent passport, and
- Your most recent U.S. passport had a validity of 10 years, and
- You were issued your most recent U.S. passport at age 16 or older, and within the past 15 years, and
- Your name will remain the same as on your most recent passport.
If you meet the above criteria, please submit the following documents via Ilyang courier service to the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Korea:
- Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard. (Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you will be asked to sign a sworn statement declaring that you have never applied for a number. Once completed, please print and sign the application form. Applications filled out by hand will not be accepted.
- Your previous U.S. passport
- One passport photograph
Sized 2″ X 2″ or 5 cm X 5 cm with a white background taken within the last 6 months/no eye glasses/no uniforms. (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)
- Fee: $110 (only acceptable method of payment for mailing or submitting at the Off-site services is an international money order) Please do not staple the money order to any document. A staple removed can affect the proper processing of a money order.
If you are not eligible to apply for your passport by mail, you must appear in person at the Embassy with the documents listed above. Please make an appointment.