Applicant visiting the Embassy will be allowed to check in only one cell phone and one set of electronic car keys before entering the building. No other devices will be permitted, and the Embassy has no capacity to store them. Please leave these items at home or make arrangements for their storage before arriving for your appointment.
All U.S. passport applications submitted at U.S. embassies and consulates are sent to the United States for processing. Processing time is generally two weeks for after receipt of a complete application for passport applications submitted in Seoul. American citizens in the Republic of Korea should seek early renewal of expiring passports. Please keep in mind that many countries require passports to be valid for at least six months beyond the travel dates.
Passport application forms are available at Department of State Passport Wizard. Applicants have two options to complete a passport application form :
1) Print PDF of the application form and complete by hand; OR,
2) Complete Application Online via the Passport Wizard and print it out. The Passport Wizard will walk you through the process of filling out any passport service form electronically and put the information into a barcode that we can upload instantly when you come in to apply for your passport. For assistance, please refer to the instructions for using the Passport Wizard.(PDF-1.39KB)
After filling out your application, bring it with you to the Embassy with an appointment or if applicable, send it via one of the courier services.
Apply for a Passport
Request an Emergency Passport
The U.S. Embassy is able to issue emergency (limited validity) passports to facilitate travel for genuine emergencies only. Please schedule an appointment on the embassy’s appointment page and appear in person to explain your urgent need for travel, if your travel is scheduled within a week, bring a travel itinerary in addition to the online passport application and supporting documents (Minor passport/Adult passport/Lost/Stolen/Damaged passport) and fee listed on our website. Normally, emergency passports can be printed on the same day.
- Average passport processing time is about 2-3 weeks upon receipt of a completed application. If you have not received your passport in 3 weeks and wish to know the status of your passport, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must use the same email address that you listed on your passport application. Please provide your full name, date of birth, and type of passport (e.g., tourist or diplomatic).
- A return delivery courier slip filled out by you will be used to return your passport. Please note that you will need to pay for this service in cash directly to the courier upon delivery (fees are listed on the courier delivery slip).
- Passports that remain unclaimed after three (3) months from the date of issuance will be cancelled and sent back to the Department for destruction.