Frequently Asked Questions – Other

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the port-of-entry have authority to permit or deny admission to the United States for all U.S. citizens as well as foreign travelers.  They are also responsible for Customs.  To learn about admissions and entry requirements, as well as restrictions about bringing food, agricultural products, and other restricted/prohibited goods, please review the U.S. CBP website.  You can also contact the U.S. CBP office in Korea by email at

Drugs brought into the Republic of Korea are subject to the regulations established by the Korean Food and Drug Administration and the Korean Customs Service.  We recommend that you plan in advance and confirm the procedures with the relevant Korean authorities before bringing any drugs into the Republic of Korea.

Please direct specific inquiries to:

Narcotics Policy Division
Pharmaceutical Safety Bureau
MFDS [Ministry of Food and Drug Safety]
Tel. +82 43 719 2801~16
Fax. +82 43 719 2800

Additional details may be found at the KFDA website:

We recommend that you register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that we can better assist you in case of an emergency while you are abroad. We encourage you to enroll whether you are visiting Korea or residing here.

If you enrolled online (STEP), visit to cancel or update your enrollment.  If you previously submitted a registration request through the Embassy website ,which is no longer valid, you may unregister by sending an email request to with your full name and the e-mail address you used to register.

No, the U.S. Embassy is not able to act as a legal representative or give legal advice.  All legal disputes in Korea must be resolved through the Korean legal system.  We have compiled a list of attorneys who speak English who may be able to assist you. But please note that the embassy is not able to attest to their competence or reliability outside of their English speaking ability and willingness to work with U.S. citizens.

Unfortunately the embassy cannot assist with obtaining criminal background checks.  You can get a copy of your own FBI record by submitting a written request to the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) at

The Korean National Police Agency informed the Embassy on February 11, 2009, that the most police stations in Korea are able to provide fingerprint services.  Please call your local police station to verify hours and procedures.  You may have to go to another police station if your local police station does not have the necessary equipment or staffing.

Please refer to the CJIS website for information on how to obtain an apostille on your FBI background check.

Please be aware that the U.S. Embassy has no authority over matters related to your admission intoor duration of stay, or visa status in Korea. Korean visas for U.S. citizens fall under the jurisdiction of the Korean government. For questions or concerns, please contact the Korean Immigration Service directly by phone at 1345, or online at  If you are in the U.S., you may wish to consult with the Korean Embassy in the U.S. at

Please note that you must take a written exam before you can obtain a Korean driver’s license except for those who hold driver’s licenses that were issued by a U.S. state with a reciprocity agreement with Korea.  This written exam can be provided in English. Most Americans will need to get an International Driver’s Permit or a Korean driver’s license before driving in Korea.  For more information, please visit our website

For information on visas to visit other countries, please contact the country’s embassy. Contact information for all diplomatic missions in Korea can be found at  Also, please check in the, for the country specific information, travel alerts and travel warnings for the country that you wish to travel.

If the Consular Officer has requested that you mail in original documents, please use the two courier services listed in our website only. 

Please contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to receive copies of your Naturalization Certificate.

Our office does not have such information.  You can however contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for more information on when/how your U.S. citizenship was obtained.

Please refer to our website for detailed information.