The U.S. Embassy is able to issue emergency (limited validity) passports to facilitate travel for genuine emergencies only.  Bearers must apply again for a full validity passport upon completion of the emergency travel.  Please schedule an appointment on the embassy’s appointment page and appear in person to explain your urgent need for travel.  Bring a travel itinerary in addition to the online passport application and supporting documents and fee listed on our website.  Normally, emergency passports can be printed on the same day.

You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires.

Providing a social security number (SSN) on the passport application is mandatory if the applicant has been issued a number. If you cannot remember the SSN assigned to you, please contact the Regional Social Security Administration’s office in Manila by email at FBU.Manila@ssa.gov for information on obtaining a replacement Social Security number card.  After receiving your card, you can then apply for a U.S. passport.

– If they reply saying no number exists, write 000-00-0000 on the application form and bring the email response with you when you apply for the passport as proof.

It is acceptable if an infant’s eyes, particularly a newborn’s, are not, or are not entirely, open.  All other children must have their eyes open and look straight ahead towards the camera.

No. You must apply for the passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you are currently present.  If you are in Korea, you must submit your application to the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Korea.

Yes. In nearly all cases, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you with the new one.  Please keep all old passports in a safe place as they provide valuable information about your past travel; do not throw them away or otherwise dispose of them.  If we are not able to return your old passport for any reason, we will discuss this with you at the time of application.

If you do not have a Social Security number assigned yet, please enter 000-00-0000 on your passport application in lieu of your number.  If you have entered zeros instead of an SSN, please do not submit your passport application via mail or courier.  You must make an appointment to submit your application at the Embassy. In addition, please contact the Regional Social Security Administration’s office in Manila by email at FBU.Manila@ssa.gov in order for you to receive an email confirming that you do not have a Social Security number assigned and submit the email response with your passport application. When sending your email request, you will need to include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, parents’ full names and current address.

No.  All passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited and  additional options are not available when you apply from outside the United States.  Please refer to the tip for using passport wizard. (PDF 1.5 MB)

No, additional passport pages are no longer available as of December 31, 2015.  If you are running low on passport pages, we recommend you apply for a new passport.  Please refer to our passport page for detailed information for passport renewal.

If you wish to have your passport changed to reflect a name change, you must provide evidence to support your name change such as an original or certified true copy of a marriage certificate or court order.  Non-English documents should be accompanied by English translations.  Please see our website: Passports for more information.

If you would like to have a family member or trusted friend pick up your new passport at the embassy, please give him or her signed letter authorizing them to perform this service for you. They must bring this letter along with a valid government issued  identification when picking up your passport.

No. For first time applications the following documents are acceptable only:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents’ names
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names
  • Adoption decree with adopting parents’ names
  • Court order establishing custody
  • Court order establishing guardianship

We recommend a minimum of one photograph per year to show a child’s age progression. The photographs must be sufficient to show the natural changes in the child’s appearance from the previous passport photograph to the child’s current picture. We cannot accept any digital media. Please print hardcopies of the photographs and bring them with you to the appointment.

Unfortunately there are no consular services available at the Busan American Presence Post.