This information is provided to help prepare U.S. citizens and their families in the unlikely event of natural disasters, civil emergencies, and other situations that might necessitate an evacuation.
In the event of an actual emergency, the Embassy will place up to date instructions specific to the circumstances of the event.
Before an emergency occurs there are a number of things that you can do to prepare:
- Enroll with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) – U.S. citizens living or traveling in South Korea are encouraged to register with the Embassy through the State Department’s travel enrollment website. In the event of an emergency, we use the enrollment information to communicate with you.
- Read “Be Prepared for Emergencies” (PDF 166KB) – Whether or not you have to consider the prospect of an evacuation or natural disaster, it is sound advice to follow the information in this document.
- Download the AFN 360 app that is available for smart phones. The application is free, and will allow anyone in Korea access to all of the available AFN radio stations in the Pacific Region. All AFN stations in Korea can be listened to real-time via smartphone or on a computer with internet connection. During any crises or contingency, listeners will be able to get up to the minute information. From your computer, access www.afnpacific.net, click on the AFN 360 link, and choose a desired stream from the menu. On a mobile device, download the AFN Pacific Mobile App for iPhone or Android devices. For Apple products, go to the App Store and search for AFN Pacific; for Android, go to Google Play and search for AFN Pacific.
- Download the ROK Ministry of Public Safety and Security “Emergency Ready” app for smartphones and tablets. The app is free and allows users to make emergency 119 calls quickly, locate the nearest emergency shelters, watch videos related to CPR, First Aid, etc.
Staying informed during an emergency situation:
- Monitor our website – we will issue updated messages for U.S. citizens and post appropriate information specific to the circumstances on our website.
- Monitor AFN (American Forces Network) (PDF 95.9KB) radio stations and follow the international and local news outlets for additional information.
- During natural disasters such as typhoons or tropical storms, monitor the Korean Meteorological Administration website for current weather and environmental conditions.
- Read the latest security information worldwide. U.S. citizens should regularly monitor the State Department’s website where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Travel alerts can be found. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the Unites States, or, for callers from outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).