Birth Abroad (Consular Report of Birth Abroad/CRBA)

  1. Adoption
  2. Birth Abroad (Consular Report of Birth Abroad/CRBA)

Effective August 3, 2020, appointment requests for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) must be submitted by e-mail. To make an appointment, please send scanned copies of your applications and all supporting documents  to Please note that all attachments must be in PDF, JPG (JPEG) or PNG. Please format the subject line with your child’s last name, first and middle name and date of birth (month/date/year).   Please click here for detailed instructions.

  • With the improvements in the COVID-19 situation in Korea, we now offer limited in-person appointments for those who need to submit a DS-11 passport application (minor applicants, first-time adult, first application after a lost/stolen passport) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
  • As of October 1, 2017, the U.S. Embassy in Seoul cannot accept Social Security Card applications for U.S. citizens under the age of 12.  Please contact SSA in Manila directly for any assistance, questions or concerns.
  • Applicants visiting the Embassy will be allowed to check in only one cell phone and one set of electronic car keys before entering the building. No other devices will be permitted, and the Embassy has no capacity to store them.  Please leave these items at home or make arrangements for their storage before arriving for your appointment.
  • Please be sure to bring an informal (certified not required) translation of all Korean documents submitted.

The U.S. Embassy in Seoul strongly encourages all U.S. citizens who have children born in the Republic of South Korea to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) as soon as possible after the birth of the child.  A CRBA is an official record confirming that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.  It can be issued only at a U.S. Embassy or a Consular Office overseas, and only before the child reaches 18 years of age.  Please note that the U.S. Embassy Seoul can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Korea.  If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication.

Only the child’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) may apply on the child’s behalf. Child’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) along with the child must be present to sign the application before a U.S. consular officer.  Please note that both parents and the child must come in person to the appointment.

Please note: Based on the evidence provided, it is up to the reviewing officer to determine if the eligibility for transmission of citizenship requirement has been met.  If more information is required, these additional items, along with any missing documents, will be explained to you with an itemized list indicating the document(s) necessary to complete your child’s application.  You have 90 calendar days from the submission of your application to complete the process.

A return delivery courier slip (available at the Embassy) filled out by you will be used to return your child’s CRBA and passport.  Please note that you will pay for this service in cash directly to the courier upon delivery.

  • Form DS-2029: (PDF 345 KB) Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard.  Once completed, please print the application form, but DO NOT sign.  If you have not yet applied for your child’s social security number, please enter 000-00-0000 as the social security number in the passport application.
    • U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. If you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing written consent for your minor child to apply for a U.S. passport because you are unable to appear in person with your child, please submit a notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) (PDF-51.4KB). The parent submitting the application materials to the U.S. Embassy must bring the notarized consent form along with a copy of the absent parent’s ID used during the notary. If you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained in a timely manner, you need to submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) (PDF-42.9KB).
  • One photo – 2″ x 2” (5cm x 5cm) photograph.  The background must be plain white, taken within the last six months and should not show parents or parents’ hands.  Polaroid photos cannot be used.
  • Evidence of your child’s birth

    • This can be an original U.S. military hospital or Korean hospital birth certificate.  A Korean certificate must be signed by the doctor and sealed with the official hospital stamp on the letter and must be accompanied by an English translation.Please make sure that the child’s name and both parents’ names on the hospital birth certificate are consistent with the names on the submitted applications and IDs.  Our office will not accept the hospital birth certificates that do not include the child’s name at birth or if the parent’s names are spelled incorrectly.
  • Mother’s prenatal and hospital records: If the child was conceived through in vitro fertilization (IVF) or another similar method, please bring your medical records, including a statement from the doctor or clinic indicating the names of the egg and sperm donors.
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship of the parent(s): (One of the following: original or certified copy)
    • Passport
    • U.S. Birth Certificate (Please Note: Hospitals in the United States sometimes issue a commemorative “certificate of birth” which often has the baby’s footprints.  This hospital-issued certificate is not a proof of citizenship. Certified birth certificates are issued by the State or County government, not a hospital.)
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Parents’ current and previous passports including those issued under other names and other nationalities.
  • Parents’ valid IDs/passports
  • Evidence of couple’s relationship prior to the conception of the child.
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce decrees/Death Certificates (for all previous marriages)
    • If you have been married before, please bring all past divorce decrees or death certificates (original copies).
    • For Korean citizens, a Family Census Register is acceptable (an English translation must be included.  The translation does not need to be notarized.)
    • If you are divorced from the child’s biological parent, please bring a court order establishing custody and guardianship of the child applying for the CRBA.
  • Fee$215 ($100 CRBA and $115 Passport)  All fees are payable in U.S. dollars or Korean won at the Embassy’s exchange rate.  A combination of U.S. dollars and Korean won will not be accepted.  The Embassy also accepts payment by US or International credit card. 
    Please note that when providing consular services outside of the U.S. Embassy (Off-site Services), we are only able to accept payment by MONEY ORDER in U.S. dollars for the exact amount of the service made payable to the “CASHIER FMC U.S. EMBASSY SEOUL”.  We do NOT accept cash or credit card at the Off-site Services.
  • Evidence of the American parent’s physical presence in the U.S.

    • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen and the other is not, the U.S. citizen parent must provide evidence of his or her actual presence in the United States for five years (two of them after the age of 14) before the birth.
    • If the parents are not married and the father is a U.S. citizen, more evidence as such as written affidavits, may be requested along with the five years physical presence requirement.
    • Note: A child born between November 14, 1986 and June 11, 2017 and out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother and an alien father will acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen mother had previously been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of one year. The mother of a child born out of wedlock cannot use time spent abroad as a military member or dependent to satisfy all or part of the requirement of continuous physical presence in the United States for 1 year.

Please note: Based on the evidence provided, it is up to the reviewing officer to determine if the eligibility for transmission of citizenship requirement has been met.  If more information is required, these additional items, along with any missing documents, will be explained to you with an itemized list indicating the document(s) necessary to complete your child’s application.  You have 90 calendar days from the submission of your application to complete the process.

In some instances it is not possible to conclusively determine the U.S. citizenship of a child at birth based on the documents submitted. In these cases, the Consular Officer may request a DNA exam to establish parentage.  This will involve the supervised taking of saliva samples from the parties involved by an accredited laboratory.  Please do not conduct independent DNA exams, as only results from Embassy requested tests can be used to determine a genetic relationship for citizenship purposes.

Generally, immediate family members may accompany passport or CRBA applicants to their appointment interviews at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and all minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.  Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney at their appointment interview.  Attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant is subject to the following parameters designed to ensure an orderly appointment interview process and to maintain the integrity of the adjudication of the application(s):

  •  Given space limitations in the consular section, not more than one attendee at a time will be allowed to accompany an applicant (or the applicant’s parent or guardian if the applicant is a minor).
  • Attendance by an attorney does not excuse the applicant and/or the minor applicant’s parent or guardian from attending the appointment interview in person.
  • The manner in which a passport or CRBA appointment interview is conducted, and the scope and nature of the inquiry, shall at all times be at the discretion of the consular officer, following applicable Departmental guidance.
  • It is expected that attorneys will provide their clients with relevant legal advice prior to, rather than at, the appointment interview, and will advise their clients prior to the appointment interview that the client will participate in the appointment interview with minimal assistance.
  • Attorneys may not engage in any form of legal argumentation during the appointment interview and before the consular officer.
  • Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions.
  • To the extent that an applicant does not understand a question, s/he should seek clarification from the consular officer directly.
  • The consular officer has sole discretion to determine the appropriate language(s) for communication with the applicant, based on the facility of both officer and applicant and the manner and form that best facilitate communication between the consular officer and the applicant.  Attendees may not demand that communications take place in a particular language solely for the benefit of the attendee.  Nor may attendees object to or insist on the participation of an interpreter in the appointment interview, to the qualifications of any interpreter, or to the manner or substance of any translation.
  • No attendee may coach or instruct applicants as to how to answer a consular officer’s question.
  • Attendees may not object to a consular officer’s question on any ground (including that the attendee regards the question to be inappropriate, irrelevant, or adversarial), or instruct the applicant not to answer a consular officer’s question.  Attendees may not interfere in any manner with the consular officer’s ability to conduct all inquiries and fact-finding necessary to exercise his or her responsibilities to adjudicate the application.
  • During a passport or CRBA appointment interview, attendees may not discuss or inquire about other applications.
  • Attendees may take written notes, but may not otherwise record the appointment interviews.
  • Attendees may not engage in any other conduct that materially disrupts the appointment interview.  For example, they may not yell at or otherwise attempt to intimidate or abuse a consular officer or staff, and they may not engage in any conduct that threatens U.S. national security or the security of the embassy or its personnel.  Attendees must follow all security policies of the Department of State and the U.S. embassy or consulate where the appointment interview takes place.

Attendees may not engage in any conduct that violates this policy and/or otherwise materially disrupts the appointment interview.  Failure to observe these parameters will result in a warning to the attendee and, if ignored, the attendee may be asked to leave the appointment interview and/or the premises, as appropriate.  It would then be the applicant’s choice whether to continue the appointment interview without the attendee present, subject to the consular officer’s discretion to terminate the appointment interview.  The safety and privacy of all applicants awaiting consular services, as well as of consular and embassy personnel, is of paramount consideration.