An official website of the United States government

April 20, 2021

Emergency Passport

The U.S. Embassy is able to issue emergency (limited validity) passports to facilitate travel for genuine emergencies only. Please schedule an appointment on the embassy’s appointment page and appear in person to explain your urgent need for travel. If your travel is scheduled within a week, bring a travel itinerary in addition to the online passport application and supporting documents (Minor passport/Adult passport/Lost/Stolen/Damaged passport) and fee listed on our website. Normally, emergency passports can be printed on the same day.

Replacing an emergency passport

If you’ve received an emergency limited passport and wish to apply for a replacement passport please follow the instructions below.

1) If it was issued less than one year ago and received a letter with replacement instructions during the time of issuance, you can submit your application with the following materials via courier service.

  • Completed and signed DS-5504(for minor applicant, one of the parents may sign a DS-5504) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one.
  • One passport photograph (Sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background taken within the last six months/no eye glasses/no uniforms/no digital manipulation or retouching. Face coverings (i.e. bandages, masks) that block portions of the face are not allowed.  We need to see your full face to establish your identity. Please see the travel.state.gov passport photo webpage for more information. )
  • Your emergency limited passport
  • If applicable, the letter with replacement instructions which includes fee waiver information

2) If you do not fall under the above category and did not receive the letter from us, you will need to appear in person at the Embassy to submit your application.  For minor applicants, please click here for required documentsFor adult applicants, please click here for required documents.