An official website of the United States government

Apply Online for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA)
June 8, 2023


A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) who meet the conditions laid out under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

We now accept Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications electronically. This new streamlined process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the mandatory in-person interview.

To be eligible to use the eCRBA system, you MUST answer YES to ALL of the following criteria:
  • Was the child born in Korea?
  • Is the child under the age of 18?
  • Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  • Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029) and contacting us.


Step 1. Create your profile: To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov accountWatch this video to learn more about creating your https://mytravel.state.gov account.

Step 2. Complete the online application: Access eCRBA through MyTravelGov account, which provides easy, step-by-step instructions to complete your application. You should review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist.

Step 3. Submit payment online and schedule an appointment: After you complete the application and submit payment online, you may schedule an appointment online. You MUST schedule your appointment a minimum of 5 working days after the date of submission to allow payment processing to be completed. If your payment hasn’t cleared before your interview, you may be denied service until payment has processed. We do not accept walk-ins.

Step 4. Attend your scheduled in-person interview: You MUST bring all original documents to your appointment. Original documents will be returned to you after verification. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. Please note that both parents and the child must come in person to the appointment.

How to create a MyTravelGov account video