Exchange a valid U.S. driver’s license for a Korean driver’s license in Korea:
To exchange a valid U.S. driver’s license for a Korean driver’s license, you will need a certified copy of your U.S. driver’s license. We can provide a certified copy for a fee of $50 per copy. To request a certified copy, you may choose one of the two options below:
1. By courier service: Please send us the following documents by Ilyang courier service. They provide a round-trip service, bringing your materials to the U.S. Embassy then returning your processed documents and certified copy back to your door.
1. Your valid U.S. driver’s license
2. Memo requesting a certified copy
3. Money order for service fee of $50
2. In person: Please schedule an appointment online for notary service and visit us on your appointment date. You should bring your valid U.S. driver’s license with you.
For more information on how to exchange a valid U.S. drivers license for a Korean drivers license in Korea, please visit the Korean Driver’s License Agency’s website.
Applying for a drivers license in Korea:
The Korean Drivers License Agency offers drivers training and tests in English. The examination office provides a car for the driving test.
A Driver’s License Applicant Must:
- Attend a safety training,
- Have their vision checked (or present documentation of a comparable check by a designated Korean hospital or doctor),
- Take a written test,
- Take a driving course test, and
- Take a road test.
For complete details, please visit the Drivers License Agency’s website.
International Driving Permits
Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver’s licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver’s license into 10 foreign languages. Travelers who plan to rent vehicles in the Republic of Korea should verify license requirements directly with the rental agency before travel. For more information about IDP, please contact:
AAA (American Automobile Association) and/or AATA (American Automobile Touring Alliance)