An official website of the United States government

Driving in Korea
April 20, 2022

Important Notice: Please be advised that the U.S. Embassy does not provide authentication for U.S. issued drivers licenses.  The Republic of Korea is a member of the Hague Conference on Private International Law and recognizes apostilles issued by foreign authorities.  To have your driver’s license apostilled, please contact the issuing state’s office of authentication for an apostille.

For more information, please visit the Korean Driver’s License Agency’s website.  Please note that you must take a written exam before you can obtain a Korean driver’s license except for those who hold driver’s licenses that were issued by a State that has a reciprocity agreement with Korea.  This written exam can be provided in English.

Applying for a drivers license in Korea:

The Korean Drivers License Agency offers drivers training and tests in English.  The examination office provides a car for the driving test.

A Driver’s License Applicant Must:

  1. Attend a safety training,
  2. Have their vision checked (or present documentation of a comparable check by a designated Korean hospital or doctor),
  3. Take a written test,
  4. Take a driving course test, and
  5. Take a road test.

For complete details, please visit the Drivers License Agency’s website.

International Driving Permits

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver’s licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP).  An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver’s license into 10 foreign languages.  Travelers who plan to rent vehicles in the Republic of Korea should verify license requirements directly with the rental agency before travel. For more information about IDP, please contact:
AAA (American Automobile Association) and/or AATA (American Automobile Touring Alliance)