An official website of the United States government

Death of a U.S. Citizen
August 3, 2023


The Bureau of Consular Affairs will locate and inform the next-of-kin of the U.S. citizen’s death and provides information on how to make arrangements for local burial or return of the remains to the United States. The disposition of remains is subject to U.S. law, local laws of the country where the individual died, U.S. and foreign customs requirements, and the foreign country facilities, which are often vastly different from those in the United States.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs assists the next-of-kin to convey instructions to the appropriate offices within the foreign country, and provides information to the family on how to transmit the necessary private funds to cover the costs overseas. The Department of State has no funds to assist in the return of remains or ashes of U.S. citizens who die abroad. Upon issuance of a local death certificate, the nearest embassy or consulate may prepare a Consular Report of the Death of an American Abroad. Copies of that report are provided to the next-of-kin or legal representative and may be used in U.S. courts to settle estate matters.

A U.S. consular officer overseas has statutory responsibility for the personal estate of a U.S. citizen who dies abroad if the deceased has no legal representative or next-of-kin in the country where the death occurred, subject to local law. In that situation, the consular officer can take possession of personal effects, such as jewelry, personal documents and papers, and clothing.

The officer prepares an inventory of the personal effects and then carries out instructions from the legal representative or next-of-kin concerning the effects. For more information on the Consular Report of the Death of an American Abroad and other services that a consular officer can provide when a loved one passes away overseas, see the links below.

CDC requirements for importing human remains depend upon if the body has been embalmed, cremated, or if the person died from a quarantinable communicable disease.

The remains must meet the standards for importation found in 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 71.55 and may be cleared, released, and authorized for entry into the United States only under the following conditions:

  • The remains are cremated; OR
  • The remains are properly embalmed and placed in a hermetically sealed casket; OR
  • The remains are accompanied by a permit issued by the CDC Director. The CDC permit (if applicable) must accompany the human remains at all times during shipment.
    • Permits for the importation of the remains of a person known or suspected to have died from a quarantinable communicable disease may be obtained through the CDC Division of Global Migration and Quarantine by calling the CDC Emergency Operations Center at 770-488-7100 or emailing dgmqpolicyoffice@cdc.gov.

Please see CDC’s guidance for additional information.

Reporting the Death of a U.S. Citizen

When a U.S. citizen dies abroad, the embassy issues a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRODA). This is an administrative record that provides essential facts about the death, disposition of remains, and custody of the personal estate of a deceased U.S. citizen. The legal representative can submit most documents electronically by email. We request that the deceased’s original passport be submitted to us by courier or in person by making an appointment. For more information, please contact SeoulinfoACS@state.gov.

  1. Deceased’s passport (original)
  2. Original or copy of death certificate from hospital (in English or Korean). Please ensure that the hospital death certificate contains the deceased’s name as written on the deceased’s passport.
  3. Proof of your legal relationship to the deceased. This could be:

        * A copy of the deceased’s will or testament designating you as the legal representative or executor with responsibility to handle the deceased’s affairs, OR
        * A marriage certificate, birth certificate, or other official document showing your familial relationship to the deceased.

  4. Copy of the Legal Representative or next of kin family member’s passport or official ID, such as a driver’s license.
  5. Power of Attorney or Letter of Consent. If the legal representative or next of kin family member wishes to send a person other than the named legal representative or next of kin family member to the Embassy on their behalf to process the CRODA, please send a Power of Attorney or Letter of Consent giving permission for that person to handle the affairs. Please also include a copy of that person’s ID.
  6. The deceased’s most recent address in the United States and their address in the Republic of Korea.
  7. Information about the disposition of the deceased’s remains (buried locally, cremated locally, body or ashes shipped to the United States or third country, or ashes hand-carried to the United States or third country)
  8. Your forwarding address and the desired number of CRODAs. We can issue up to 20 copies.