Adult Passport Renewal (Previous passport was issued after age 16 and no more than 15 years ago)
We are accepting DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Applications via courier service ONLY.
The Processing time for passport renewals is 6-8 weeks. Please write your travel plan on question #20 of the DS-82 application.
You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires. If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
You can renew your existing passport without a personal appearance at the Embassy if:
- You can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with your renewal application.
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
- You were issued your most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
- Your most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
- The U.S. passport book that You are renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
- You currently use the same name as appears on your most recent U.S. passport book, or you have had your name changed by marriage, divorce or court order and can submit proper certified documentation to reflect your name change with your renewal application.
- You have a Social Security number. If you have never been assigned a SSN, please complete a No SSN statement. Please submit the completed, signed and dated statement along with your application package. Electronic/digital signatures are NOT valid.
If you answer yes to all of the questions, please submit the following documents via Ilyang courier service to the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Korea:
- Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard. (Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you will be asked to sign a sworn statement declaring that you have never applied for a number. Once completed, please print and sign the application form. Electronic/digital signatures are NOT valid.
- Your previous U.S. passport
- One passport photograph
Sized 2″ X 2″ or 5 cm X 5 cm with a white background taken within the last 6 months/no eye glasses/no uniforms/no digital manipulation or retouching. Face coverings (i.e. bandages, masks) that block portions of the face are not allowed. We need to see your full face to establish your identity. Please see the travel.state.gov passport photo webpage (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)
- Fee: $130.
* Pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to us. See our FAQ page for more information on this process.
* Pay via international money order. Please do not staple the money order to any document. A staple removed can affect the proper processing of a money order. Note: We do NOT accept cash or personal checks by Ilyang courier service.
If your application does not meet the passport application requirements listed above, we will return your application package without processing it. The courier fee is paid cash on delivery.
If you are not eligible to apply for your passport by mail, you must appear in person at the Embassy with the documents listed above. Please make an appointment.