We are accepting DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Applications and DS-5504 applications via courier service ONLY. (The DS-5504 is used to make a correction, register a name change within one year of passport issuance, or exchange a limited passport.)
First Time Adult Passport
All first-time passport applicants (age 16 and older) must appear in person at the Embassy. The application must be signed before a U.S. consular officer. Please see our appointment page.
Please submit the following documents:
- Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard. (Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. Once completed, please print the application form, but DO NOT sign.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
Original U.S. birth certificate with parents’ information, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, or previous or current passport that was issued before age 16. Please Note: Hospitals in the United States sometimes issue a commemorative “certificate of birth” which often has the baby’s footprints. This hospital-issued certificate is not a proof of citizenship. Certified birth certificates are issued by the State or County government, not a hospital. If the submitted document is under a different name, you must provide original evidence of the change of name, such as a marriage certificate or a court order.
- Proof of Identity
For example, a driver’s license, military I.D., etc.
- One passport photograph
Sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background taken within the last six months/no eye glasses/no uniforms/no digital manipulation or retouching. Face coverings (i.e. bandages, masks) that block portions of the face are not allowed. We need to see your full face to establish your identity. Please see the travel.state.gov passport photo webpage for more information.(U.S. passport and Korean photo sizes are different.)
- Fee: $165
US or International credit card – All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars. The applicant can use a credit card in his/her name or a credit card of the person accompanying the applicant to the Embassy.
Cash – U.S. dollars or Korean won at the Embassy’s exchange rate. When paying in cash, we kindly request that you bring the exact amount
- Development photos
For those whose last passport was issued when the applicant was minor, please bring development photos showing the physical development of the applicant since the last passport was issued. 1-2 photographs per year from when that passport was issued to present, to show how their appearance has changed.
- A return delivery courier slip (available at the Embassy)
Renewal for Adults
We are accepting DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Applications via courier service ONLY.
The Processing time for passport renewals is 4-6 weeks. Please write your travel plan on question #20 of the DS-82 application.
You may renew your passport at any time before or after it expires. If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
You can renew your existing passport without a personal appearance at the Embassy if:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
- I currently use the same name as appears on my most recent U.S. passport book, or I have had my name changed by marriage, divorce or court order and can submit proper certified documentation to reflect my name change with my renewal application.
- I have a Social Security number
If you answer yes to all of the questions, please submit the following documents via Ilyang courier service to the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Korea:
- Passport application must be filled out using the Passport Wizard. (Tips for Using Passport Wizard) (PDF 1.5 MB) You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you were never issued a Social Security number, you will be asked to sign a sworn statement declaring that you have never applied for a number. Once completed, please print and sign the application form. Applications filled out by hand will not be accepted.
- Your previous U.S. passport
- One passport photograph
Sized 2″ X 2″ or 5 cm X 5 cm with a white background taken within the last 6 months/no eye glasses/no uniforms/no digital manipulation or retouching. Face coverings (i.e. bandages, masks) that block portions of the face are not allowed. We need to see your full face to establish your identity. Please see the travel.state.gov passport photo webpage (U.S. passport and Korean passport photo sizes are different.)
- Fee: $130.
* Pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to us. See our FAQ page for more information on this process.
* Pay via international money order. Please do not staple the money order to any document. A staple removed can affect the proper processing of a money order. Note: We do NOT accept cash or personal checks by Ilyang courier service.
If your application does not meet the passport application requirements listed above, we will return your application package without processing it. The courier fee is paid cash on delivery.
If you are not eligible to apply for your passport by mail, you must appear in person at the Embassy with the documents listed above. Please make an appointment.