An official website of the United States government

eCRBA Frequently Asked Questions
June 1, 2023

What is eCRBA?

eCRBA is the Department of State’s new online application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). eCRBA does not require any new information or processes – applicants enter the same information in eCRBA as in the paper application. This new application method, however, will allow you to enter your data, upload required documents, pay the fees, and schedule your appointment all online. Additionally, you will be able to check the status of your application online.


How will eCRBA affect me?

Submitting your application electronically is more efficient than paper processing. It saves time by allowing you to upload your documents, pay your fees, and schedule your appointment all in one convenient online location. Further, it is more transparent as you will be able to check the status of your application at any time.


Is eCRBA secure?

Yes. Security is an important priority for all services provided by the Department of State. Electronic processing is very secure and has been developed with stringent security considerations built into each design and development step. Only authorized users will be able to access the online CRBA application and supporting documents.


Who is eligible to use eCRBA?

You can use eCRBA if you meet the following criteria:
• The child born abroad must be under the age of 18.
• At least one of the child’s parents must have been a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national at the time of the child’s birth.
• The biological parents of the child, the child’s legal guardian, or the child him/herself, are/is completing the application. No third-party applicants or facilitators can use eCRBA.
• The child was born in Korea.


Can I still apply for CRBA with a paper application if I prefer?

Yes, you will still be able to complete a paper application (DS-2029).  We only accept completed paper applications (DS-2029) for exceptional cases, such as a child born outside of the Republic of Korea. However, paper applications will take much longer to process.


How does eCRBA work?

You will start by opening a MyTravelGov account. Once you have an account, you can create an eCRBA application, which will guide you step by step through the process of applying online, including uploading supporting documents to ensure that the application is complete. Once the application is complete, you need to pay the eCRBA fee online. Once the payment is complete, you will be prompted to schedule an in-person interview at U.S. Embassy in Seoul. You must bring the child and the originals of all supporting documents to the in-person interview, where a consular officer will interview you to verify the information provided, review the original documents, and decide whether to approve the application.


What is a “MyTravelGov” account?

A “MyTravelGov” is an online account that applicants can use to request consular services. You must register for a MyTravelGov account to use the eCRBA application. You can find the MyTravelGov portal here.


What documents do I need to apply for eCRBA?

The eCRBA application will guide you through the process and will help you understand which documents to provide, as well as what type of documents are acceptable. You must provide supporting documents to show:
• Record of child’s birth
• Evidence of biological relationship between the child and parents
• Proof of U.S. citizenship for transmitting parents(s) (typically, a U.S. passport of birth certificate)
• Parents’ identification
• Evidence of parents’ marriages and/or termination of marriages by death or divorce
• Evidence of legal relationship and financial support (only in certain cases)
• Residence and physical presence in the United States, its outlying territories, or qualifying U.S. government service overseas prior to the child’s birth

You can scan, save, and upload documents in each section of the eCRBA application. You must bring the originals to the in-person interview where a consular officer will verify all original documents.


How do I upload photos and attached documents in eCRBA?

Throughout the eCRBA application, there are several places where you can provide documents by uploading a file from your computer. The maximum allowable file size is 10MB. You can click “attach a file” or “add” to bring up a document upload pop-up and then click the “select a file” button to choose the file you wish to upload. When choosing documents to upload, focus on uploading only required documents.


How do I complete the Physical Presence section in eCRBA?

Our office regularly receives inquiries asking how to list the times of physical presence in the United States. The forms require parents to list all times they were physically present in the United States, as to the best of their knowledge. If you are unsure of the exact dates of travel in and out of the U.S. list the dates to your best estimate (even if this only lists the month and year). We appreciate that for frequent travelers the list may be comprehensive, but the information is required for the Consular Officer to determine your child’s eligibility for U.S. citizenship.


Can I request duplicate copies of the CRBA through the eCRBA system?

No, you will need to request additional copies of your child’s CRBA through the Vital Records section at the State Department.


What if I don’t have a computer or internet connection at home?

If you don’t have a computer or internet connection at home, a local library, university, or internet café may provide computers and internet for a small fee. You can also use the computers provided in any American Center. Local charities or religious organizations may also have computers to use for the application process.


What are my payment options?

eCRBA requires payment using the U.S. government’s official payment site “pay.gov”, which accepts payments in U.S. dollars from a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover) or U.S. bank account.


How secure is the payment option?

The payment system is secure. The payment occurs through “pay.gov”, an online payment system used by many U.S. government agencies.


How do I know if my eCRBA has been received?

After successfully submitting an eCRBA application and payment, you will see a confirmation screen. You will also receive a follow-up email, confirming receipt of your application.


How do I make changes to my eCRBA information once it has been submitted?

You won’t be able to edit your application online after it is submitted, except for uploading additional documents. Please let us know if any changes are needed at the time of your interview.


How do I schedule an appointment online?

After you complete the application and submit payment online, you may schedule an appointment online. You MUST schedule your appointment a minimum of 5 working days after the date of submission to allow payment processing to be completed. If your payment hasn’t cleared before your interview, you may be denied service until payment has processed.  We do not accept walk-ins.


Can I make one appointment for my child’s passport and CRBA?

Yes, you can schedule one appointment for a passport and CRBA.  Other services may require separate appointments.


How can I cancel or reschedule my appointment?

Please refer to our website for instructions on how to cancel or reschedule your appointment online.