- Bring original documents. They will be returned after the interview.
- Provide English translations for all foreign language documents (unofficial translations with original are acceptable)
- Attend the in-person interview together – child and both parents.
1. Complete the eCRBA online application. If not eligible to use eCRBA, complete the paper form of DS-2029 (PDF 345 KB).
2. If applying for a passport at the same time
- DS-11 passport application: must be filled out using the Passport Wizard .
- Enter 000-00-0000 as the Social Security Number (SSN) if needed.
- Print the application form, but do not sign.
- Bring one passport photo – see travel.state.gov for photo requirements.
- Signed and dated No SSN statement (PDF1.7MB)
- (If applicable) A notarized statement of consent Form DS-3053 (PDF-51.4KB) from the non-appearing parent with a copy of the ID used during the notary, if they cannot attend the in-person interview.
3. Required Documents
- Original hospital birth certificate, signed by the doctor or with an official hospital seal/stamp, with English translation.
- The child and parents’ names must EXACTLY match the names on the application and IDs.
- If the Korean hospital did not list the baby’s name or omitted the middle name, you must obtain an amended birth certificate before applying. No exceptions.
- Both parents’ valid, government issued photo ID
- (If applicable) Marriage certificate
- (If applicable) Divorce decrees or death certificates for all previous marriages, or a Korean equivalent
4. Required Evidence
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship of the parent(s): you MUST provide one of the following – U.S. passport, original U.S. birth certificate issued by the vital records office of the state or county, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship.
- Evidence of the American parent’s physical presence in the U.S.
- This is the most common reason why applications are delayed or denied. See all requirements here: physical presence
- Mother’s prenatal and hospital records, including evidence of assisted reproductive technology (ART) if applicable.
- eCRBA fee – $100 (paid online before interview)
- Passport fee – $135 (paid in-person at the time of interview)