United States Embassy Seoul, Republic of Korea
Security Message for U.S. Citizens:
Rallies in Seoul Planned for August 30, 2017
The Korean Plant Construction Workers Union is planning to stage a large-scale rally on Wednesday, August 30, 2017. Supporters plan to rally at Sejongno Park, near the U.S. Embassy, in Seoul. The rally is scheduled to commence at 1:00 p.m. and to conclude at 6:00 p.m. Korean authorities are anticipating approximately 2,000 supporters. During the rally, supporters will march to the Hyoja Police box. Police authorities will close a single lane of traffic to facilitate the march.
In addition, the following rallies will take place in Seoul on the same day:
- The Korean Patriots Party is planning to stage a rally at Jangchung Arena, near the Shilla Hotel. The rally is scheduled to commence at 2:00 p.m. and to conclude at 8:00 p.m. Korean authorities are anticipating approximately 3,500 supporters. Between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., supporters will march to Jongno 5-ga. Police authorities will close all northbound and westbound traffic lanes to facilitate the march.
- The Korean Plant Construction Workers Union is planning to stage a large-scale rally at the POSCO Center in Gangnam. The rally is scheduled to commence at 7:00 p.m. and to conclude at 9:00 p.m. Korean authorities are anticipating approximately 2,300 supporters. During the rally, supporters will march around the Gangnam area. Police authorities will close two traffic lanes to facilitate the march.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For further information about security in Korea:
- See the Department of State’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts and Country Specific Information for Republic of Korea.
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, located at 188 Sejong-daero, Jongno-gu, telephone 02 397-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday . After-hours emergency number for S. citizens is 02 397-4114.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to have travel information at your fingertips.