The U.S. Embassy in Seoul informs U.S. citizens that a pro-former President Park group is planning to stage a large-scale rally in Seoul on Saturday, August 26, 2017. Supporters plan to rally at Hyehwa Station (near SNU Hospital). The rally is scheduled to commence at 3:20 p.m. and to conclude at 7:00 p.m. Korean authorities are anticipating approximately 4,000 supporters. Between 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., supporters will march to the Hyundai Art Gallery. Police authorities will close a single lane of traffic to facilitate the march.
Another rally will also take place in Seoul on the same day:
A second pro-former President Park group is planning to stage a rally at Deoksu Palace (across from Seoul City Hall Plaza). The rally is scheduled to commence at 5:00 p.m. and to conclude at 7:00 p.m. Korean authorities are anticipating approximately 500 supporters. During the rally, supporters will march to Gwanghwamun Plaza then return to Deoksu Palace. Police authorities will close a single lane of traffic to facilitate the march.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
For further information about security in Korea:
- See the Department of State’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts and Country Specific Information for Republic of Korea.
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, located at 188 Sejong-daero, Jongno-gu, telephone 02 397-4000, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday . After-hours emergency number for S. citizens is 02 397-4114.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to have travel information at your fingertips.