Chronology of U.S. Embassy Properties
1883 First American Ambassador arrives and occupies Chung-dong Legation House Site behind Duk-Soo Palace at the invitation of King Kojong
1888 US Government purchases Legation House property from the royal family.
1948 US Government purchases the residential compound adjacent to the Legation House property from the Korean Government.
1959-60 US Government constructs additional residences on the adjacent residential compound, keeping two Japanese-style houses that were on the site when purchased.
1974-76 US Government builds Ambassador’s Residence, “Habib House,” on the Legation House Property
1986 At the Korean Government’s suggestion, the U S Government purchases Kyonggi Girl’s High School site from the City of Seoul to be used as a new Chancery site.