Location: Jeju and the western coast of South Korea – from Mokpo, then up the western coastline and inland toward Seoul.
Event: Typhoon Soulik will bring potentially flooding rain and strong winds to South Korea throughout the day on Thursday, August 23, 2018. Soulik is expected to cross Cheju Island in the early hours of Thursday morning and make landfall over Mokpo early on Thursday. The storm will continue to move up the western coast, bringing rain and wind, and will reach the greater Seoul metropolitan area by Thursday evening. The storm is expected to weaken in intensity as it moves over the Korean Peninsula. Monitor the local news for updates. U.S. citizens are advised to:
- Seek secure shelter.
- Visit the Korean Meteorological Administration and Accuweather for up to the minute information on Korean weather.
- U.S. Embassy Seoul 02 397-4000, After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 02-397-4114.
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- South Korea Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter