The <Oori Earth Eco-Challenge> is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Embassy Seoul.
Description of the Contest
This is a social media contest to raise awareness about U.S. Embassy Seoul’s climate action network Oori Earth and to gather people in South Korea interested in climate change issues through fun and engaging activities. There is no charge to participate in this contest.
This social media contest is administered through Embassy Seoul’s Instagram page (https://instagram.com/usembassyseoul). Instagram is not a partner in the administration of the contest. Contestants are reminded that by participating in the contest and uploading content to Instagram, they are bound by Instagram’s Terms of Service, and any agreements with Instagram contained therein.
How to Enter
Participants may sign up by visiting an American Space location:
American Center Korea (Tel. 02-397-4732)
Busan American Corner (Tel. 051-810-8287)
Daegu American Corner (Tel. 053-231-2046)
Gwangju American Corner (Tel. 062-613-7757)
Pyeongtaek American Corner (Tel. 031-8024-5492)
Gangneung American Corner (Tel. 033-660-3214)
Halla Library (Tel. 064-710-8647)
Each Participant will receive:
- #OoriEarth Eco Bag
- Two COVID-19 masks and an Embassy pen
- Stamp Card and milestone stickers
- Contest instructions and missions
June 28 – July 23
Eco Challenge Tasks
(Required to add hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth & #OoriEarth(+)mission numbers (ex. #OoriEarth1))
#1 – Join the Oori Earth network by signing up on our website (https://kr.usembassy.gov/oe), follow @usembassyseoul, and repost our challenge introductory video on Instagram with these hashtags: #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth1.
#2 – Self-introduction post on Instagram using hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth2.
#3 – Give thanks to Mother Earth. Take a photo of beautiful nature you want to preserve and post it on Instagram with hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth3.
#4 – Watch a movie that talks about environmental issues and recommend it on Instagram with hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth4.
#5 – Read a book on climate change and share a phrase that inspired you to go green on Instagram with hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth5.
#6 – Organize your own cleanup with a small group and post on Instagram with hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth6. Helpful ideas can be found here: https://www.earthday.org/your-first-cleanup-what-to-know-and-expect-15-tips-for-first-time-volunteers/.
#7 – Come up with a creative “upcycling” idea and share it on Instagram with hashtags #미국대사관이랑 #OoriEarth #OoriEarth7. (Upcycling, also known as creative reuse, is the process of transforming by-products, waste materials, useless, or unwanted products into new materials or products perceived to be of greater quality, such as artistic value or environmental value.)
Participation in this contest is deemed as acceptance of these Official Contest Rules.
The contest commences on June 28. Entries may be submitted between June 28 and July 23. Judging begins on July 26 and ends on July 29.
- Submissions must not contain obscenity, explicit sexual material, nudity, profanity, graphic violence, calls or incitement to violence, commercial solicitation or commercial promotion. Submissions must conform to local law and must not contain content or images that could be considered abusive, inflammatory, denigrating, or disrespectful to any of the Contest Sponsors, or to any groups, individuals or institutions. Submissions must adhere both in appearance and in fact to the norms of civil discourse. In other words, the content of all submissions must be suitable for a global, public audience.
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify, at their sole and absolute discretion, any submission that does not adhere to these criteria and to the intent and substance of these Official Contest Rules.
- In the event of any question or difference of views regarding compliance with, interpretation, or application of these content requirements or other provisions of these Official Contest Rules, Contest Sponsors reserve the exclusive right to resolve such questions or differences of views in their sole discretion.
- Contestants must be at least 18 years old on the date of entry into the contest. Contestants must be residents of South Korea and may not be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.
- The individual submitting the entry will be considered the contestant and will be the only individual eligible to compete for the prize. Organizations are not eligible to compete for the prize, either as an entity, or through representation by an individual. In order to be eligible for the prize, the contestant must provide complete and accurate information.
- The following individuals are not eligible to participate in the contest: Employees, interns, directors, and officers of the Contest Sponsors, Instagram, or the U.S. Government; or any employee, interns, directors, or officers of any agencies, companies, or entities involved in the administration, advertising, judging, creation, development, execution, and/or fulfillment of this contest; and the immediate family members (defined as spouse, recognized partner, parent, child, sibling, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such individual.
- Once a submission has been accepted for entry into the contest, the contestant’s name (or User ID, if the contestant wishes to remain anonymous) and country may be publicly identified at the sole discretion of the contestant.
Selection of Winners
Those who complete all seven tasks will receive a certificate from the Embassy and win a chance to receive an E-bike. If conditions allow, the U.S. Embassy will hold a certificate ceremony for eligible participants at the American Center Korea.
- Three U.S. Embassy Seoul judges will select two E-bike winners after reviewing the seven posts of eligible contestants. Selection criteria will include engagement rate and overall creativity of their posts, as well as the quality and viability of upcycling ideas.
- S. Embassy Seoul Instagram followers will vote on one E-bike winner who submits the best upcycling idea. Each follower will be allowed to vote for their favorite participant one time. Contestants who use fraudulent methods to garner votes will be automatically disqualified.
- Three E-bikes
- Each winner must provide a valid physical mailing address where a prize, if any, is to be shipped. Contest Sponsors are not responsible for any problems related to the shipping of any prize, including, but not limited to, theft, delay, damage, or destruction/accidental loss by the shipping carrier. If a winner does not provide a valid physical mailing address, then the Contest Sponsors reserve the right to select an alternative winner.
- Any unused portion of the prize is not transferable, convertible, or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash. All taxes on or in connection with any prize, and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the winner.
Liability and Rights
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right at any time, to verify the validity of entries and of contestants and to disqualify any contestant or entry deemed not in compliance with these Official Contest Rules. Contest Sponsors also reserve the right to request further documentation, at their sole and absolute discretion, to verify eligibility and compliance with these Official Contest Rules.
- If a prize or any portion thereof is unavailable, Contest Sponsors, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to substitute the prize with another prize of equal or greater value and/or specification.
- If this contest is interfered or tampered with in any way by a contestant, or a person acting on the contestant’s behalf, or, if, as a consequence of such interference, the contest is not capable of being reasonably conducted in the manner anticipated by Contest Sponsors, the Contest Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion to disqualify any interfering contestant and/or modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the contest.
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the contest at their discretion for any reason.
- Contestant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Contest Sponsors, their parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, employees, interns, and agents, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debts, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from (I) violation of these Official Contest Rules; (ii) violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, trademark, intellectual property, privacy, publicity, or other proprietary right in connection with the contest; or (iii) any claim that a contest submission caused any harm, including financial, to any third party. These indemnification and hold harmless obligations will survive indefinitely beyond the conclusion of the contest.
- The conduct, judging, and awarding of prizes will be carried out in full compliance with applicable U.S. law and host country law. In the event of a conflict between U.S. law and host country law, U.S. law shall apply.
- Contest Sponsors and the U.S. Government will take reasonable measures to protect privacy data, personally identifiable information, and other sensitive data of contestants. Contact information provided by contestants may be stored by S. Embassy Seoul and may be used to contact contestants for other purposes in the future. This information may be shared with the co-sponsor of the contest and/or be made available to third parties, to the extent permitted by law.
- Contest Sponsors assume no liability or responsibility for any loss or harm resulting from any user’s participation in or attempt to participate in the contest or ability or inability to upload, download, or otherwise access any information in connection with participating in the contest. Contest Sponsors assume no responsibility or liability for technical problems, or technical malfunctions arising in connection with the operation of the contest, including: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity, or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the contest site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the contest site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the contest.
- Use of contest site is at user’s own risk. Contest Sponsors are not responsible for any personal injury, property damage, or losses of any kind which may be sustained to computer equipment resulting from participation in the contest, use of the contest site or the downloading of information from the contest site. By participating in the contest, the contestant releases Contest Sponsors from any and all claims arising from or relating to such contestant’s participation in the contest, whether directly or indirectly.
- Contest Sponsors are not liable in the event that any portion of the contest is cancelled or delayed due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other reason.