Call for applications for
2022 U.S.-Korea Summer English Scholars
U.S. Embassy Seoul
U.S.-Korea Summer English Scholars Program provides promising Korean undergraduate students the opportunity to improve their English language proficiency as well as experience U.S. culture and values through immersion in U.S. society. The U.S.-Korea Summer English Scholars Program will be held at three different universities in the United States over the courses of four (4) weeks beginning in July 2022. A combination of English language training, residential and cultural activities, and extracurricular experiences will deepen participants’ understanding of the United States and what it means to be a global citizen.
- Candidates must be Korean students who are currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in Korea.
- Candidates should be highly motivated and should demonstrate leadership through academic work, community involvement, and/or extracurricular activities.
- Candidates should have little or no prior experience living or studying in the United States.
- Priority will be given to students from demographics that are historically underrepresented in study abroad
* The U.S. Embassy in Seoul is committed to integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in our programs, in regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, disability or sexual orientation.
English Language Ability
Students with any English proficiency level are eligible to apply. Before the program begins, students will be required to take an informal English placement exam to determine their levels and will be placed in class with students of a similar level.
U.S.-Korea Summer English Scholars program is fully funded. The U.S. Embassy in Seoul will fund all costs, including tuition, program administration, housing and meal arrangements, international airfare and domestic ground transportation, and incidental allowances within set limits.
- Submission deadline of online application: March 13, 2022
- Announcement of shortlisted candidates: March 21, 2022
- Interview: Week of March 28, 2022
- Announcement of final decision: April 15, 2022
* Please note that this selection process could shift due to COVID-19.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must compile the completed application and all supporting documents in one PDF document, and submit it to AmericanEnglishSeoul@state.gov before March 13, 2022. Please read the instructions carefully and verify that the application is complete and the information is correct before submission.
- U.S.-Korea Summer English Scholars Program application form
- A copy of the data/photo page of your passport or ID card
(For dual citizens, a passport or ID from all countries of citizenship is required. U.S. citizens are not eligible to apply.)
- An official transcript for years of university study
(If not possible, please submit the certificate of enrollment.)
- One letter of recommendation in Korean or English
(The recommendation should be completed by a university professor familiar with the student’s work in his or her major field of study, or from an employer, coach, or any supervisor familiar with the student’s extra-curricular activities. Recommendations should not be from family members or friends.)
For inquiries, please reach out to us at AmericanEnglishSeoul@state.gov.